Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day FATHER!

Jimmy, "Big Jim", Dad

Daddy

Pop

Many years ago, our family had the opportunity to celebrate my father-in-law's 75th birthday. As Jimmy and I contemplated what to get a man who had everything, we were stumped. What do you get a man that age who seems to have everything he needs and really wants nothing? A few days later, I came up with the idea that each of us (including Clark and Graham), write a poem or letter or something, that let's him know who he is or has been to us. I would type the writings out and have each of them famed. Each of us could give them to him for his birthday.

After everyone wrote what they wanted, I typed them on paper that matched what they had to say and had them famed in what would compliment their gift of words. Pop loved each gift. Each was from the heart, made with our own time and thought and presented with love. He hung each one in the entrance of his home. On Father's Day, I think about the poem I wrote and the man who meant much to me.

Jimmy's dad is no longer living and my dad no longer lives either. I did something similar for my dad on one of his birthdays. I had a picture, in the background, of the two of us as he walked me down the aisle at my wedding. In front of the picture, were financial records of all he spent raising me through the years. The last line was the total cost of a dad walking his daughter down the aisle and giving her away...total personal cost...PRICELESS!

Yes, dads are very, very special. Jimmy is dad, father, pop, Big Jim, "Jimmy" to our children and grandchildren. He is the "one" whom I am forever grateful, God gave me to be father to our children. He was always active in their lives when they were young. Because we both worked, he participated in all the daily duties necessary in their lives. He taught them to be men. Men of honor, integrity, and men of good character.

I am thankful today to my heavenly Father for the fathers He put in my life. My two fathers, Daddy and Pop, and Jimmy, the wonderful father of our children. But most of all, I am thankful for my Heavenly Father. It is His standards we should follow to live by. He is the one who is always there, by our side, in the good and bad times. He is the Father who comforts our pain, sooths our sorrows, shares in our joys and gives all good things.

So thank you Father. Thank you for being a loving, tender and faithful Father. And thank you for providing me with such wonderful earthly fathers here on earth.

Happy Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment