Tuesday, October 5, 2010

FOR THE LOVE OF DANCE

Ems twirling in her new "lellow" ballet costume
Our Emery is now taking ballet. Oh, how proud I am of our little angel. To think that I would ever have a little granddaughter that would take ballet...a miracle since I had two sons to a husband of an all male family, and with only two boy cousins. But this little girl just loves to "twirl" as her daddy calls it. She loves to swing her arms to and fro, skip around the room turning as much as she can, jumping and smiling all the way. What a sight to see for a grandmother who took classical ballet from one of the most remarkable ballet teachers known. But after all, Ems is only three. Just the sight of a pink leotard thrills her heart.
I go to her ballet and tap practices as often as possible. It really tickles me to see this doe eyed little girl love something I loved so much. After all, she's such a mommy's girl, I didn't think she even liked me for a while...and now, she's in love with something that was major in a large portion of my life.
It makes me wonder if she will turn out to love dance as much as I did for so long? Will she be a good dancer? Will she be better than I was? More dedicated? Be taught by someone with the standards Miss Judith, my wonderful teacher had? Will she love dance just for dance and not for where it will take her? Will she pursue it as a career? Her eyes sparkle now...but will they sparkle for it in years to come as she sits to watch the Nutcracker at Christmas, or even dances in it for others? Who will she be because of it? Will she learn discipline from it? Will she learn manners and courtesy toward others? Will she learn to love classical ballet instead of some sort of dance that looks as if a pole should be involved? (sorry...just sort of slipped out!) My hopes and prayers for Ems is for the joy it gave me for so many years. Not from what I became because of it...but because of what it is...beautiful, graceful, disciplined, strength, strong, patient, endurance, joyful, self controlled, awesome! This is what I want for Ems. This is the love for dance I want her to experience.
It reminds me of the love we experience from our heavenly Father. We often see it, want it, work to know him and receive it. And when we get it, we experience the joy of His love, not because of what we get out of it, but because of who He is...He is beautiful and the creator of all things beautiful. He is graceful - full of grace and mercy. He is disciplined and organized, strong and almighty. He is patient, and endures all things and He is our joy and hope. He is self control and withholds what we truly deserve but gives us more than we deserve. He is AWESOME! Is this why I love ballet so much? Was this the foreshadowing of what God would show me of himself in later years...but I just didn't know it at the time?
I hope my Ems sees the beauty in ballet and the beauty in our Father. I hope she experiences all the fruits of joy I received from those many years of dancing in studios and on stage, but even more the fruits of the Holy Spirit as she comes to know the beauty of our Lord.
So today, I am thankful for Em's other grandma Kristi, who sent me a wonderful video of a beautiful ballerina and her partner that thrilled my heart as I watched them perform. Thankful for the joy I received in watching them, but also, for the reminder of the unbelievable joy I receive when I think about the love and joy I receive from my Lord. Not because of what He does for me... but because of who He is.
So Ems...can you show me that "twirl" in your new "lellow" costume one more time?

No comments:

Post a Comment