Thursday, June 19, 2014

SUMMER NIGHTLIGHTS

Remember the movie "Grease"?  I love musicals and I especially loved that movie.  Since I was raised in that era, I related to the music, the clothes and all the fun times.  There was one song that Olivia Newton John sings called  "Summer Nights".  The lyrics talk about all the fun these kids had during the summer - what they did in the lazy days of summer.  It all sounded so dreamy!  The other kids kept singing in the background - "tell me more, tell me more"!


I really had this image that this summer would be my "Summer Nights".  This summer would be my lazy days of summer, playing a lot of golf, taking the grand kids to the pool, traveling, working in my yard, sitting and reading when I like and just relaxing.  WRONG!!!  This summer has been like my "Summer Nightlight"!  I feel like I've been up all night, every night.  No, I've slept, but I'm exhausted!  I'm busier than I've ever been.  I don't know what happened!  All my well laid plans, or rather my plans to DO NOTHING got changed by I don't know who!!!  I've only played a little golf, only taken the little kids to the pool about 2 times, been to the dentist, doctors, no travel yet and running more errands than I have in my entire life!  SOMEONE is working behind the scenes to determine my days other than the way I had intended.


I spoke with my son Graham, yesterday.  His life has had an adjustment recently that was unplanned.  As we spoke, Graham told me he had been reading scripture to help him through this change in his life.   I suddenly recall the verse he quoted.  I'm ashamed to say I, myself had not remembered this verse as I grumble about my "Summer Nightlight".  Ps. 139:16 When I was woven together in the depths of the earth your eyes saw my unformed body.  All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be.  Well!  There you go!  God already had these "Summer Nightlights" planned before the beginning of time.  They were planned for His glory and to be used to in His way, to point to Him and to glorify Him!


You mean it's NOT all about me and what I want to do?  Hmmmm......


Isn't God good to give us children to point us to Him?  Isn't it humbling to FINALLY realize NOTHING is about ME and EVERYTHING is about GOD?


I am grateful my Lord loves me enough to gently humble me through the words of my sweet child.



No comments:

Post a Comment