Monday, April 12, 2010

DO OVERS

On in One!
Ballet or Golf? Not sure about that stance and followthrough :(

Whip it! Whip it Good!


Jimmy, Clark, our friend Randy and I played San Antonio's new Marriott TPC golf course yesterday afternoon. It is a beautiful course. We played the canyon course, not the players course. The resort is getting ready for the upcoming Valero Players Championship and the players course will be closing soon. Many of the grandstands are going up and the course is in pristine condition. The canyons course is also in excellent condition. It is a long course (at least for this lady), and has much sand. However, it has nice wide fairways with a LOT less trees than our Oak Hills club.

When we started the day, or I should say afternoon (1:20), it was very damp and drizzly. I usually don't play in these conditions, but was wanting badly to play this new course. The drizzle cleared up but was still overcast the rest of the day. By the end of the day, it began to drizzle again. The course was very damp and I guess I can blame my score on wet fairways and greens.

I road on a cart with Clark and he kept my score. I decided that because I had been playing so badly at our home course lately, I wouldn't look at my score until after the round was over. Clark kept the score and I would ask him after the round. I started out with an 8 on the first two holes. No, that's not good. The lower one's score is, the better. I knew it would be a VERY long day if I kept up this kind of play. I progressed as the day went on, but wasn't about to look at my score. Now remember, 72 is scratch golf. That means if one scores a 72 for the entire round (1 holes), he/she has played the course in regulation/par/even.

Leaving the course after we were finished, I asked Clark to e-mail me my scores when he got home. I knew I did better on the back 9, but I had no idea what my score was. When I got Clark's e-mail, I was shocked. I made a 55 on the front 9 and a 44 on the back 9. A 44? Are you kidding me? I've never shot a 44 on our course! And it's 11 strokes less than the front 9!!! I'm in heaven! I just wanted to go back to the course and do over the front 9 to see if I could make a better score and bring down my 99 total score! But still...I am totally pumped!

You know, it really makes me think about do overs. I've been really frustrated with my game lately. Jimmy and I often play on a Sunday afternoon and decide not to keep score, but to simply play each shot and do over those that suck. Practice to see if we can make it or do it right like we should have the first time. That's what I call a do over. Sometimes I feel like that about things in life. I wish I could turn back the clock and do over something I wish I had done or said or responded to differently. Do you ever have those do over moments too? Those do over moments you regret the way you behaved or perhaps something you didn't do but wish you had? Yes, missed opportunities that we either handled wrong or missed all together.

You know, with God, we get do overs. We get second chances. We get to say we are sorry and are forgiven and it's never to be brought up again. With God, if we miss a chance, that chance is missed, but He can bring another. He is a God of second chances. We can mess up, but when we belong to Him, He is a God of many chances. He lets us do over when we mess up and repent.

I have to ask myself, what is that I need to do over today? Have I missed calling a friend for too long? Perhaps they are in need and today is just the right day. Is there someone I need to forgive that I have been holding back on? God expects us to do that immediately anyway. What is it God would have me do over that I keep messing up?

Today, I am thankful for do overs. The opportunities to do over things I have messed up on, prayers I have forgotten to pray for people, hugs I have neglected to give, "I love Yous" I have forgotten to say enough, acts of kindness I have completely missed opportunities to do, words of kindness I have failed to share. There are so many do overs. I'm thankful for second chances to do over things I can.

I think I will do over my closet today (Huston says it needs "fixing")

No comments:

Post a Comment