Wednesday, September 24, 2014

BRONCO AND POT ROAST




When I was in school, we never had all the fancy white boards or "smart" boards they have in schools today.  Chalk boards!  Yes, beautiful black boards with white chalk!  No colored chalk, no erasable markers, no swiping my hand across a board to change the picture.  Just your simple black board.  How I loved to help the teacher erase the board.  All kids loved to help erase the board.

Not only did we not have the fancy boards they have today, but we didn't have animals in our room either.  No frogs, birds or hamsters.  Today, kids get all the great stuff.  Hamsters are the rage of the classrooms.  My grandson Huston has a hamster in his classroom.  I recently went to grandparents day and noticed this ball rolling through the room. When it hit my foot the first time, I jumped!  Not understanding what was happening, Huston quickly explained that it was the class hamster, "Bronco", exercising in the ball. 

Now, I never allowed my children to have hamsters (what I thought to be really furry rodents) in our house.  We had dogs...and I was always afraid the hamster would get out, get lost and the dog would have him/her for lunch.  They were just a little toooooo "ratty" for me if you want to know the truth.

Huston got to bring "Bronco" home from school to care for this past weekend.  I went to babysit for "H" and his siblings when I soon discovered the furry ball rolling through their house.  I (sort of) got adjusted to the little guy but still refuse to hold him.  I did however, discover a few things.  1) hamsters are pretty cute, 2)  I discovered how Huston held him and was learning gentleness and how to care for a pet,and 3) I can learn a few things from this "rat".

Huston is so proud to have the opportunity to care for "Bronco".  Do I see caring for my family and friends as an opportunity?  A privilege?  Or a burden?  God cares for me every day and NEVER considers it a burden. 

I'm grateful for the gifts of family and friends.  Perhaps Bronco can teach an old gal something about service.   Hmmmm...think I'll treat my sweet husband to a nice pot roast this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment