Friday, October 23, 2015

MOMMY'S HOMECOMING


In my last post, I spoke of names and name changes. My son just got married and therefore, his bride's last name changed.  I have discovered that names really are important.  They identify, or connect us with others.  My mother's name was Edna.  Edna means "little seed, kernel".  Her middle name was Louise, meaning "well known fighter". And her last name was Drake, meaning "dragon".  Therefore, mom was a tiny little thing, worked hard and fought for her family like a dragon.  Yep...that probably describes her well.

She was petite and was a mamma bear when it came to her children.  Tough in discipline but loved deeply.  She always made the comment, "hurt me but do NOT hurt my child!"

Mom fought hard these past several months.  Diagnosed with COPD, congestive heart failure and low kidney function, she had to press on with great strength to keep going and stay alive.  She wanted to live and wanted to be with her children.  Yes, she was a petite dragon who fought to care for others and experience the joys of life as long as she could.

During the last month, I had the privilege to be with mom during a hospital stay.  We talked about fears past and present.  We spoke about heaven, seeing daddy again and more importantly, seeing her heavenly Father.  We walked through the steps of assurance and mom prayed the prayer of salvation.  This was my wish for her.  That she would know Jesus as Lord and Savior and have a such a personal relationship with Him that she would rejoice in her homecoming.  My sister had been out of the hospital room during this conversation and when she returned, with mom sleeping, she commented on how peaceful mom was compared to when she left for a short while.  It was like night and day.  Yep...that's what knowing Jesus does.  A peace and assurance of His love and faithfulness brings about an inner peace like none other.  Indescribable! 

Mom went to her new heavenly home last night at approximately 10:00 pm.  My sister and brother-in-law were at her side.  I am grateful for my sissy's love and tenderness in being there at that time.  I am grateful for a mother who worked hard, fought hard and raised 5 children with love and compassion.  But most of all, I am grateful for a heavenly Father who met her in His kingdom with open arms, ready to say, "Well done my good and faithful servant".  And I am grateful for His compassion on this sinner's soul to allow me the privilege of knowing she is with Him.

Where will you be?  In a grave or in His kingdom?  If you're not sure, won't you ask Him how you can be adopted as His child and spend eternity with Him?

Welcome home mommy!


No comments:

Post a Comment