Wednesday, June 15, 2016

3 NAILS & 1 CROSS

I was just reading an article about George Straight and listening to one of his songs I never heard before.  I'm not a big country western fan.  Most of the songs seem to simply be about lost loves, cheating hearts, etc.  They are slow, melodic and often sad.  I'm not a rap fan either...most of these encourage sex, violence or vulgar language.  Then there are religious songs.  The current "praise" songs often repeat the same lyrics over and over.  Not that they aren't worth repeating, but I prefer verses with different phrases of praise instead of repetitious ones.  I'm more a rock or pop fan myself.  Granted, some of these also encourage sex and vulgar language.  But most are pretty good and I love the beat.  Sometimes, when singing along with a love song, I pretend I'm singing to the love of my life, the Lord.  Remember "You Light Up My Life", by Debbie Boone?  Most thought it was just a love song.  When interviewed, she admitted it was a song about the Lord.

As I was listening to this song of George Straight's, I began to cry.  Songs often point us to events in  our lives, longings for love and affection, missed opportunities we regret and so forth.  But George's song hit to the heart of my soul.  It is about forgiveness and root of forgiveness.  The song is titled, "Three Nails and a Cross".  The picture displayed representing this song is:

1 Cross + 3 Nails = 4 Giveness

Now you can see why I began to cry.  During times of hurt, anger, bitterness, frustration and loneliness, what is needed is Forgiveness.  And Forgiveness begins with 3 nails and 1 cross.  God teaches us Christ came to this earth, to hang on 1 cross by 3 nails in order that we would be forgiven.  And during His perfect life, Christ command us to forgive as He forgave us first.

In the midst of all the current tragedy, I believe each day should begin with 1 Cross and 3 Nails.  Begin with me Lord, you paid the price.  Give me heart that forgives and encourages forgiveness, not hate.  Give me a heart to "pay forward" the love, kindness and forgiveness you gave first.

I am grateful for 3 Nails and 1 Cross...the reminder of God's ultimate love we are to "pay forward".

Look up and listen to George's song...you too, will weep with joy and desire to "pay it forward!"

No comments:

Post a Comment