Monday, June 13, 2016

BIRTHDAYS






Whooh!  I'm exhausted!  This weekend I hosted my granddaughter's 9th birthday party.  Eight little girls for 3 full hours can really tire a grandma out!  However, I must say, I think I had as much fun as the little girls did.

I planned the party for months, wanting to make it very special for Emery.  We had painting, Bingo, Match games and more.  There was plenty of adult help to go around, but I think we were all as tired as the girls were.  One little girl went home and told her mom, "Emery's party was 'Epic'!"  I felt great that I could give my precious granddaughter a special day just for her.

My husband's grandfather used to say that "every day is someone's birthday"....meaning it's no big deal.  But as a child with a Christmas Eve  birthday, and not ever really having a "special day" for my birthday, it always seemed like a big deal to me.

It made me start thinking about the special birthdays we celebrate in our country...our country's birthday, important people's birthday (i.e. Lincoln, MLK, etc), even the birthdays for important events that happened in our country (i.e.  9/11).  But there is one birthday that started out great and has been slowly degraded to just a "holiday", instead of it's original birthday celebration.  That birthday is Christmas.  Yes, we used to celebrate the birth of the One who really deserves to be recognized in this world.  The One, who chose to come to this earth, live perfectly in love and obedience to the Lord.  The One, who chose to hang on a cross and take the punishments for all the evil of mankind in our place.  The One who has prepared a place in eternity for those who love and believe in Him.  Yes, we now are encouraged to simply say, "Happy Holiday" instead of "Merry Christ's Day" in celebration His memorial birth!

Yes, every day is someone's birthday.  But Christmas is some ONE's birthday and should be recognized as such.

I am grateful for birthdays as a reminder of the One who was born to take my sins on His shoulders on a cross, shed His blood for mine, so I may live eternally with Him one day.  Therefore, I celebrate birthdays in grand fashion as a reminder to me to celebrate His in the GRANDEST of all.

Happy Birthday sweet Emery!

No comments:

Post a Comment