Thursday, March 18, 2010

GRACE

Frank with daughter Rene'

While I was on vacation this week, I got a call from my family, informing me that my oldest brother, Frank, living in California, had been in a serious motorcycle accident. Frank is a very cautious, safe biker, which surprised me that he, of all people, would end up in an accident. I had always been told that it usually wasn't the person on the bike that was the cause of a bike accident, but the driver of a car. Seeing most of the people driving here in San Antonio, I can tell you now...I would say that statement is totally false. However, knowing Frank, I would believe that to be true in his case. He is very, very cautious. He not only wears a helmet, ALWAYS, but he also, ALWAYS wears a leather jacket and chaps for protection. He has taken many safety courses and rides often with a group. This is why I was shocked that he would end up in an accident.

Since I have had two cousins killed in bike accidents at a young age, motorcycles are not my favorite mode of transportation. Now, they would be my LEAST favorite mode of transportation! Frank ended up breaking his knee cap and shattering his right leg so bad, he has pins down the entire leg, every inch, all the way down. The doctors were afraid they would have to amputate it because the damage was so bad. It is truly a miracle he came out with his leg in tact. His friend told us that since he was dressed the way he was, there was not a scratch on him. He simply had to lay the bike down in order not to run into a truck that stopped suddenly in front of him. The bike crushed his leg beneath it. We are just glad he is alive.

You know, no matter how cautious a person can be, or how many safety courses a person can take, or how much protective gear a person can wear or place around them....there is always the unexpected. And when that unexpected happens, it is by the grace of God we, as human beings, make it out alive of situations we place ourselves in. It is by God's grace we overcome and are able to walk away from situations, though often scarred, or even crippled by them, we are able to continue on. Yet, how we fail to see that it is truly only by His grace that it is possible. Frank will have many, many months of recuperation and therapy before he will walk or even be able to drive (it was his right leg). But he is alive. He will have his leg to use. He will walk and return to his routine. It is by God's grace he is still here.

So today, I am thankful for the unmistakable grace of God. Thankful that He protected Frank from any greater danger than he already had. Thankful for the return of the pulse in his leg so he would not have to have it amputated. I am thankful for the friends who will care and nurture him during the next period of time that will be so difficult for him. Thankful for all the provisions God is making during this time and for what is to come. THIS, is GRACE! Undeserved GRACE!

No comments:

Post a Comment