Thursday, March 11, 2010

HEALING A BROKEN HEART

I went to a cardiologist for the first time today. I'm not really sure why...just been out of breath and wanted to check things out. My internist did an EKG last week and this week, the cardiologist did some other tests and hooked me up to a small monitor for 24 hours. I have 5 small wires attached to my body and connected to a small, battery powered monitor that will read and store my blood pressure, pulse, etc. for this time. I'm supposed to sleep with it on tonight, but I'm not really sure how that will work. How can a person sleep hooked up to what looks like a remote control unit hooked to their chest and sleepwear? Then, I can't get it wet. Therefore, I can't take a bath or shower until I go back to the doc tomorrow at 3:00 to return the unit. Guess I'll be staying home ALL day tomorrow! Pew!

It makes me think about all that modern medicine can do for us these days. Did you know that the stress tests they used to give patients - those where you would get on a treadmill and walk while hooked up to monitors, is no longer the way they do it now. Now, you lay on a bed and they inject this fluid into your system and it brings up your pulse and whatever to make you feel as if you are walking and your heart begins to race. It's really amazing...exercise while laying on a bed...now that's my kind of exercise!

Anyway, what I am getting at is, there is so much science today that is used to heal and cure what is wrong with us. Especially in the areas such as kidney, liver, cancer and even heart. However, there is one area that will never be able to be cured by science. And that is the area of a broken heart. A heart broken by emotional pain, due to loss of loved ones - either by death, circumstances, situations, misunderstandings, assumptions or just plain selfishness. Broken hearts have been known to kill those who love someone so much that when that other person dies or leaves, the one so broken also dies. Broken hearts are often the cause for broken families, friendships, paralyzation from moving forward and even inability to continue on with ones daily living. Broken hearts can't be healed by alcohol, drugs, food or even exercise. It even makes people who were once viable and beautiful into someone old, bitter, anxious and lonely.

No, we can't do anything to heal a broken heart. But there is ONE person who can. Our Lord can not only heal the broken pieces, but breath new life into it. But in order to do so, we must empty ourselves completely of us and have Him fill us with Himself. It seems so easy to do that yet, in reality, so difficult for most people. We are fixers. We are doers. We are demanding that things be done NOW. But God has His own plan. It's not with little battery operated gadgets. It's not with "doing" something on our part. It's simply allowing Him to work in us, convicting us, encouraging us, nurturing us, guiding us, teaching us, comforting us and directing us with His love that we can again feel the joy He promises we NOW have through the blood of our Lord Jesus Christ.

So today, I am thankful for the little battery operated monitor attached to me. It reminds me, when I feel broken hearted, anguished over a hurt, bitter over words spoken, frustrated over situations unsettled... I can turn to the ONE and only who can heal my broken heart and make it whole again so that I may experience the joy He promises for all who trust and obey Him.

AND...His fix won't give me a shock!

No comments:

Post a Comment