Friday, March 19, 2010

OUR HERITAGE

Jefferson Memorial at night
Lincoln Memorial at night

Capitol Dome at night


Iwo Jima Memorial at night


Stephen F Austin in Hall of Columns


Statuary Hall just off the Capitol Rotunda


Jimmy and I just got home from a trip to Washington DC. Washington is one of my FAVORITE places in the US to visit. There is so much to see! Though I've been many times, I never tire of seeing the monuments and beautiful buildings in our nation's capital. Jimmy was there to meet with legislators about banking stuff. I was there to play!

I did something I have never done before...I went touring around with a group on a segway. Yes, you heard right...a SEGWAY. It was so much fun! Now, I've been in most of the buildings I saw along the way, so it didn't matter that we didn't actually stop and go inside the buildings. But we road by the Capitol, the Washington Monument, the White House, the Supreme Court, the Library of Congress, many of the Smithsonian buildings and many other monuments and buildings. They were beautiful and fun to see again. There is such energy in this city. There is such history in each building. The architecture is so beautiful and it is so fascinating to realize that this is a city, if not the only city in the world, that was actually built "as a capitol" and not already a city before becoming a capitol of a nation. The heritage of so many and so much in this city is just overwhelming to me as I go from place to place and listen to what has gone on through the 200+ years of our nations history here.

We also had the opportunity to take a night tour of the city viewing government buildings and the monuments. Jimmy and I have never done this before and we were awed by the beauty and the completely different view we got at that time of day. It was majestic - crystal and fantastic. Even a little romantic.

Yes, our nation's capitol is quite young compared to other parts of the world, yet very beautiful. And our heritage is the same. It is filled with people who came here with hope and fortitude. People looking for a new life. A life reborn in a new world. This too is the life each new Christian comes to. A life in a new world...one of hope and salvation. A life in a new kingdom, God's. A life no longer filled with suffering under a kingship of heavy burdens, but one paid for in full, all debts redeemed. Yes, we believers have a new heritage, we are now adopted children of God, heirs to His kingdom.

So today, I am thankful for the heritage I have. Not only for that of this wonderful country we live in, but I am most thankful for the one I now have as an adopted child of God, heir to His kingdom through the blood of Jesus Christ. May our country always remember the foundation by which it was founded..."one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty & justice for all." What a heritage!

No comments:

Post a Comment