Friday, March 26, 2010

SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION


Two weeks ago when we took Huston to Disney World, we took him on the MUST ride for all children in the Magic Kingdom. "It's A Small World" has been THE ride for over 50 years. In fact, I think Jimmy rode it on opening weekend, in 1955, when he visited Disney Land with his parents and grand parents. We rode it with our boys when they were teens. And, I think every person who ever goes to Disney Land or Disney World rides this ride because it is one of those stations in life one has to experience. It somehow helps us understand we are all connected to each other in some way. People all around the world are basically the same in some way or another. In fact, no matter who travels through this wonderful experience, each come out with a smile and a spring in their step as they watched the children from each nation sing and twirl in joyful celebration.

Last night, Jimmy and I were at a United Way banquet. After it was over, as we walked out, Jimmy was stopped by a young couple. The young man (in his 40's) was a gentleman Jimmy knew from the Boy Scout board (I believe.) Jimmy introduced me to the couple and we had a very nice visit for several minutes. Our visit continue as we walked out with them to get our cars and I discovered the wife was going to come to our BSF Introduction class in April. Not only was she going to come to the intro class, but her mother and sister were members of our class and her sister was going to be a new children's leader. Needless to say, I was excited and thrilled to meet this young woman and we hit it off right away. We immediately had a common bond besides the fact that she had three sons.

You know, what's that thing about "six degrees of separation?" Yes, you never know who you will run into that you will have someone in common with - especially here in San Antonio! Though San Antonio is the 7th largest city in the US, it really is like a small town.

As I think about this, I realize this is what it is like for all Christians. "Six degrees of separation to God." Even if a person is not a believer, he/she is probably connected to Him by six degrees of separation. He/she knows someone who knows someone...who has a personal relationship with the heavenly Father. Then there are those who are part of His family. We are all much closer than six degrees...we are all siblings - there are no degrees of separation among believers. Hallelujah!

So today...I am thankful for those opportunities when I come in contact with others that reminds me to always be on my toes, prepared to meet and share with those who may not be siblings but have six degrees of separation to God. Opportunities that I may share of His wondrous love and sacrifice on our behalf so that one day, there is no separation for them, but that they become His child, heir to His throne.

So though my new friend is not separated either...I am thankful for the opportunity to meet and the reminder to be watchful. You know...six degrees is really a lot!
Huston & Lovey ride the boat in "It's A Small World"!

Huge tower ending ride of "It's a Small World"

No comments:

Post a Comment