Monday, July 19, 2010

C-A-N-C-E-R Survivor

I just found out tonight that an old high school classmate of mine was diagnosed with prostate cancer. Early detection was good news and warm wishes and prayers from old classmates and friends was great to hear. But is always a jolt to hear that news about someone you know or have known. That word C-A-N-C-E-R is a scary word. It usually always evokes fear in the hearts someone as soon as they hear it. It's like it's a mortality check.

I've had several classmates succumb to cancer. Our friend Shelly spent a long time fighting it. Two of my "3 Musketeers" - Robbs and Donna, both were diagnosed. Precious Robbs is no longer here but Donna was blessed and is one of the sweet survivors. There have been more not only from my class but family members too. Even my best friend Glenda was diagnosed years ago with breast cancer, but is today living strong as a survivor. Some live on this earth strong and others live strong with the Father.

I know it must have crossed all of our minds to wonder how we would react or respond if we got the news we had cancer. We can never take it for granted that it could never happen to us. Especially those of us who grew up in a city filled with oil refineries that emitted vapors each day, sulfur plants that we smelled in the air and paper mills that we could smell from across the freeway. Water skiing in the Neches River with oil floating along its shore was never given a thought. So much we lived near and yet we never gave a second thought to any danger.

But C-A-N-C-E-R, we stand up and take notice when we hear that word. Especially when it's close to home - when loved ones are affected, classmates are diagnosed and workmates enter treatment. Cancer is a violent sickness. It eats away at you. Attacks you. Destroys your insides. And the only way to stop it is to use some of the most expensive and violent drugs available that make one think twice about why they decided to use them in the first place.

You see, I think C-A-N-C-E-R is another word we could use for S-I-N. Sin is something that eats at us inside. Destroys us from within. Unless it is completely destroyed, it continues to live and grow until we nothing but an ugly mass of nothing - dead spiritually. There is only one cure for sin. Only one drug for sin. That drug or cure is the blood of Jesus Christ. Unless we C-H-O-O-S-E to accept the blood of Christ, we will not live. We will die in our S-I-N-S.

So, today, I am thankful for the blood of Jesus Christ. Thankful for His gift of life. My only cure for eternal life. My only cure to rid me of the cancer that grows each time I refuse to accept and acknowledge my unchecked sin and ask forgiveness. It's already available and it's free.

I'm no longer scared. I'm a survivor!

No comments:

Post a Comment