Thursday, July 22, 2010

NAME GAME




Do you ever think that when you say a name of a person or a place or an object or a business or something very specific, how it truly identifies exactly who or what you are speaking about? For instance, my name is Kathryn. The origin of my name is Greek and the meaning is "pure". HA! See there! You know immediately that it's ME when someone say the name Kathryn!!! (Yeah, riiiiiiiight! There goes THAT theory!).
Anyway, a better example is this. This weekend, was Huston and Emery's birthday celebration. Clark and Alix held it at Chuck-E-Cheese. Now you all know about Chuck-E-Cheese. As Clark described it to another dad asking about what kind of place it was..."it's like a Dave and Buster's"....(I don't think so!). The dad was a bit shocked when he arrived and saw the place. (Nothing like Dave and Buster's!) Clark then said..."well...a child's version!"...(men are clueless!).
Anyway, when my sweet husband arrived, he asked if we were having dinner. I said, "sure," grab a slice". He look puzzled and said, "Pizza? I'm not eating THAT!" I looked at him and asked what he thought we would eat here. He didn't know. I said, "Hence...Chuck-E-Cheese! CHEESE PIZZA!" Somehow, since our children stopped being 5 years old and quit having THEIR parties at Chuck-E-Cheese, Jimmy has forgotten all about the joint and what goes on here. I wasn't sure what he expected, but obviously it wasn't pizza! He cracked me up...he really was confused as to the ambiance and make up of the place. In fact...I wasn't sure the name even rang a bell that our kids had their own birthday parties at a Chuck-E-Cheese many times. Could it be dementia or just selective memory? Hmmmm....guess I'll have him tested.
And what about "Sonic". When you hear the word SONIC....you think about a drive in where wait people come to check on you wearing roller skates. (at least they used to.) It's a newer version of the 50's drive through/in eating establishment. Sonic is also known for their tater tots. When a person says "tater tots"...I ALWAYS think of Sonic because they have the BEST!
It's the same with God. There are so many words that describe God. When we think of them, it makes us immediately think of the Lord. Examples: Sovereign, almighty, omnipresent, Alpha, Omega, Lover of our Souls, Savior, Redeemer, Faithful, Giver of all good things, etc.....I could go on and on. I bet I could fill an entire book of just words I could say, that when said, would make us immediately think of God and would be a significant trait that people would immediately recognize as Him alone. You know, when I listen to secular music and I listen to the lyrics, I often think of my Lord as the one the artist is singing about or pretending to be singing as, because the words could so describe or sound so loving and pure that they could come from Him and Him alone.
So today, I am thankful for those "ah ha" moments when I hear a word or a name or a phrase that makes me think of my Lord. Something that makes me associate it or an action with Him because it helps me to remember and recognize that He is in every part of my life, no matter how minute or seemingly meaningless that part may feel, He cares and is here with me, caring, loving, protecting, guiding and watching over me.
Jimmy (James)...meaning "supplier"....maybe he can supply himself some dinner next time! PIZZA anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment