Saturday, July 31, 2010

FAMILY NICKNAMES

JoEllen (Elle), Frankie (Dunior), Joe (Bubby), Margaret (Maggie), Sue

Last night, Jimmy and I went to the movies. It was my night to choose. He gets to choose a movie one time (usually some shoot-em-up and some huge explosion) and then I get the next choice. Last night was my turn. His last two choices were soooo bad - even he thought so:(, that he couldn't complain at my "G" rated movie of "Ramona and Beezus." Yes, I know it's as Jimmy says, "a little girl movie," but I wanted something fun and light and not an explosion in it! Plus, the little girl sounded soooo cute!


I was expecting "Beezus" to be the name of the young girl in the movie. As it turned out...it was her older sister. When Ramona was little, she couldn't say Beatrice, so it came out Beezus. Isn't it funny how we all have nick names for other people? Or how as little children, others names come out not quite right and seem to stick. For instance...I had an uncle Franklin we called FaFa, an Aunt Juanita we called NiNi, a great aunt Bess we called Titi (don't ask!!!), aunt MaryJo we called JoJo. My friend Judy, I call Juju or Puti (again...don't ask!!), my mom calls me Kak (who knows???), we called a cousin Bubby (he later made everyone call him Joe) and my brother Frank was called duniorr for Junior, (man did he hate that!). My grandfather always called me Sugar and Jimmy is known to an old high school buddy in his Spanish class as Jimmy (pronounced Himmie!). My aunt would never let anyone call my cousin Margaret, Maggie (guess she either didn't like Maggie or just loved Margaret.) Some of us like our nick names given to us. Some people don't like theirs at all and love it when they get old enough to change it or tell others to no longer call them that.


Nick names can be wonderful or can be cruel. I guess it just depends on how it is bestowed or received. God has given each of us a special nick name..."His own". He is our Father. He loves us. He would never do anything to hurt us, embarrass or belittle us. He only builds us up in His image. So whatever He calls us, we can be sure would be a delightful sound to hear. And what about the names we call our Father? Is it always a delight to Him? So often we hear the "God" name with a last name that starts with "D". Is that a delight to Him? Are we offended? We should be careful when calling our Father's name. We should be careful to delight Him with our words.


So today, I am thankful for nicknames that bring joy to people's hearts. Nicknames that express tenderness and love, and are a delight to others. I am especially thankful for the name given to me by my heavenly Father, "His own." I am also thankful for the reminder to be doubly aware to delight Him with the "nicknames" I give Him each day.


Hmmm.....I better go check on Himmie.....I think I hear my name (hey, woman!) being called!

No comments:

Post a Comment