Friday, July 30, 2010

CHAIN SAWS & POWER TOOLS


I am sooo excited! I received a call today that my materials for our Bible study workshop are ready for pickup. Workshop is such a great time. This is when all the leaders get together for the day and train with the materials needed to use during the year. "Materials" meaning those resources, whether verbal, paper, intellectual or whatever, that we will use to accomplish the work we are called to do throughout the year.


I wrote before about certain "words" that connote things in our minds the minute we hear them. "Workshop" is one of those words for me. It always excites me. It means a time to get our minds working together. A time of planning. A time for building a team. A time to build a plan for the year. A time to gather the tools and materials we will need and get them in order. A time to get ready to lead.


This year, for some reason, it brings to mind the workshop of Jesus. It brought to mind that Jesus' earthly father, Joseph was a carpenter. Joseph must have had a type of workshop. He must have taught Jesus how to gather the tools He would need before beginning a project. Make a plan, order His day, follow a pattern, use just the right tools for its purpose. Work diligently in the workshop to accomplish the final product. Then, to step back upon completion, take an assessment of the work to be sure of its excellence and readiness for its purpose. As a carpenter after His father Joseph died, Jesus must have done all the things just as Joseph taught Him. If He did, Jesus would be assured to have a beautiful product completed for the purpose and person for whom it was designed.


So today, I am thankful for Jesus' example and standard. The standard by which I can follow in order to fulfill anything God calls me to do. The standard to begin with prayer for wisdom of His plan, in His order, following His plan/pattern, using the tools He has given me, with the desire to do it for His purpose, depending on Him as my helper, working diligently to completion, all without reservation until completion of the work and until He receives all glory and honor.


WORKSHOP...Hmmm.....I wonder if Jesus would have liked a chain saw as much as me? Ahhh...power tools!


No comments:

Post a Comment