Monday, January 25, 2010

WIND

Well, my New Year's resolution got stuck. I failed to blog all last week. Yet I must say, I have been thankful. I really regret not putting things down instead of just running through the day, not stopping to take the time to truly think them through. Soooo, I will try to do better this week. Follow through....so hard sometimes for me.

Yesterday, after church, I had the opportunity to play golf with Jimmy, Clark and a new employee of the bank. Casey and his wife Kelly are friends with Clark and Alix from church. Casey has just joined the Broadway Bank family and Jimmy wanted to help him feel more comfortable and welcomed by inviting him for a golf game with one of his new working partners. He and Clark were to meet them at Oak Hills, our club, and play a round Sunday afternoon. Jimmy informed me early Sunday morning that Randy, Jimmy's friend and new associate of Casey at Broadway, had a migraine and they needed a 4th. Tag...I was it. Course, I NEVER turn down a golf game with the guys!

The weather in San Antonio is usually very nice, even in winter. So a Sunday afternoon golf game on January 24th can be quite pleasant. Yesterday was a beautiful day. However, there was one little hitch...30-35 miles an hour wind! The boys complained a LOT. I, however, was quite happy. Since I usually hit the ball lower and drive a little longer than they do (I do get an advantage from my tee box), I wasn't effected near as much as they were. Since there was a tournament ahead of us, we played a scramble with Jimmy and I as partners. I think the boys thought they had us old timers beat. What Casey didn't know was that I had on my "cute zebra" shoes...my secret weapon! I was swinging my hips well and keeping my head down and following through. My game was ON! Most of all...I had my cute shoes on...what more needs to be said!

Well, we beat the boys. We didn't exactly sweep the course with them...but we made our statement. I do love to win over men...especially when I have on my cute shoes. It really gets to them!

After the round was over, the boys were making many excuses about the wind. Yes, it made it a little difficult to hit into. And yes, walking against the wind tired one out. Guess they just need a pare of cute shoes to give them confidence and stamina. Hmmmm....manufactorers....take a note.

As I think about the wind and golf, I realize how it really does effect our game. When there is no wind, we depend completely upon ourselves. And that means there is nothing to blame but ourselves when the ball is not hit well or in the wrong direction. There is none behind us to help the ball go further. There is no right to left or left to right to correct our push or pull, or steer us into a direction we did not plan. There is no wind in our face to hold us back when we are overshooting the green or just trying to hit it far. Without wind, the wet spots in the fairways and on the greens would not dry out and the play would be soggy, gushy and awful. It also makes us cool and refreshed when the day is hot, as it gets so often here in San Antonio. The wind or lack thereof can be important in the game of golf.

The wind reminds me of God's Holy Spirit. It can be strong and gusty. There with us, all around us. Though we don't see it, we feel it for sure...moving us in one direction and another in the midst of turbulence all around us. He is also there when things are smooth. Though we try not to let Him affect us, and we depend on our own strength and ability, He is still there, waiting on us to ask His help, listen, feel His presence and believe in His power to help. Then there are those smooth going days, things are going right, a few ups and down, and we use the Holy Spirit, a beautiful blowing breeze within, to lead us and guide us as we move along in life's trials and joys. He steers us in the right direction as the wind blows the ball or he holds us back from what could be danger or not in God's plan, as the gusty wind does when we hit the ball real high. Yes, the Holy Spirit is sometimes quiet and soft spoken, those quiet thoughts in our heads, guiding us, leading us, serving as our conscience. He is just like the wind. Though we don't see Him...He is always there.

So today...I am thankful for the wind. Yes, even the GUSTY winds. What a wonderful picture reminder for me. I can use it, ignore it, complain about it or be grateful for it's help, just as I can the Holy Spirit.

I think I'll be grateful....Today, I am thankful for the WIND.

No comments:

Post a Comment