Friday, January 15, 2010

WORDS

As I was going through all the beautiful Christmas cards we received this year, in order to put them away, I began to read the printed and handwritten notes on each one from the various family and friends who were so generous to send us greetings. Many had family pictures either printed on them or attached. Others were beautiful Christmas season pictures - many with lots of snow. But the main thing that stood out in all of them was the message sent on each one.

As I read through each card, it made me think how important words are. Words can convey so many things. Either the written word, the spoken word, the implied word or the unspoken word can convey a multitude of emotions to the recipient. Example...my family love to give each other birthday cards. We shop very hard for just the right card to give away. But there is one must that is expected by all members. The card must dog the birthday person. Now I don't mean "animal" type of dog, but tease or ridicule in a funny way type of card. We've done it for years and it is expected by each member. One year, Clark gave me a Mother's Day card in Spanish. I don't speak Spanish and he knows it. I had no idea what the card said. It could have been vulgar or down right unpleasant. I would have never known since I didn't have a clue if it was even a Mother's day card. In fact, Clark didn't even know what it said. It was before Hallmark started printing on the back in English the meaning of the words written in Spanish. We all got a kick over it. I was too afraid to ask anyone what it said for fear it wasn't a nice card. But what was important was that Clark spent a lot of time finding just the right card with words (so to speak) that would dog me. I knew he spent time thinking about finding just the right card. He found a dogy card on purpose because he knew I would like it. It was funny and I got a real kick out of it. It's hard to find a card with just the right words or any occation. But I think Hallmark does the best in their delivery of words. I think they rank #1 in the word game for cards.

Words can also do damage. The wrong word, at the right time, or the wrong word at the wrong time can wound and hurt. Example...have you heard the phrase "don't kick a dog when he's down?" When someone is going through a difficult time, you don't go at them with criticism, blame, etc. Words can cut a person like a double edge sword.

The spoken word can also give hope, show compassion, express love, show support, extend grace. It can be just the medicine a person needs when they are hurt or lonely and need someone.

The unspoken word can do one of two things. It can withhold love, sympathy, forgiveness, compassion, trust and it can wound and hurt the one needing just one word. It can also give freedom to another by not saying something hurtful, loving one so much that you would never hurt them by responding back in negative manner. It can be just the listening ear that one needs instead of someone to fix the problem. It can be the silent partner that stand behind you giving you strength in the midst of a storm no matter what trouble.

Yes, words are powerful, whether spoken or unspoken. It reminds me, though, of the most powerful word...God's Word. God's Word never lets us down. It always builds us up, always gives us the right advice, always points us in the right direction that is in our best interest, always comforts us when we need that word of comfort, always there no matter what time of day or night. Yes, God's Word is not only the written Word, but in the gospel of John, chapter 1, the Bible says "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word WAS God. He was with God in the beginning." Yes, God's Word is the Lord Jesus Christ.

How much more powerful and wonderful can a word be? So today, I am thankful for words. But more so, I am thankful for THE Word.

Inside greeting: Merry Christmas (with personal note)

Inside greeting: May God fill your life with love, joy and peace

this Christmas and throughout the New Year




No comments:

Post a Comment