Wednesday, February 17, 2010

POCKET FRIENDS

Well, I did it again. I re-joined Facebook. Yes, I swore I wouldn't do it but I did. I love blogging. I really dislike FB. However, everyone is on FB. It's the only way I can keep up with pictures of my grand kids, nieces, nephews, great nieces and nephews. It is beginning to be one of the must have tools I will just have to deal with.

One good thing did come out of rejoining FB. I was reconnected to an old (I guess I shouldn't say old, but rather long time) friend from high school. She was one of what I would call our "Three Musketeers." There were three of us that really hung out together and at class reunions, found each other again, took pictures together (which I have hanging in my "space", I recently spoke of) and caught up on old times. Though it seemed we only saw each other about every 10 years...nothing seemed to change between the three of us. There has been one change though, since I've seen the other two Musketeers. One is now gone and I do miss her so. I often look up at the pictures and think about we three "longtime" friends. I think a better name for friends like us are "pocket friends." Yes, pocket friends are those longtime friends one doesn't see often, but those we place in little pockets in our hearts to keep forever. When we see them, we simply bring them out and pick up where we left off. And then, when the moment is over, we tuck them back away in the warm pockets of our heart for safe keeping and tender moments when we contemplate and recall those precious moments together. Yes, this friend is one of my pocket friends.

I wonder if that is what many people do with the Holy Spirit? I wonder if they treat Him as a pocket friend? I wonder if they only bring Him out or call upon Him when things are rough or sad, to carry them through tough times or for comfort? Yet, He's not just a pocket friend. Yes, He does indwell us, but He's present, alive, active, encouraging us, counselling us, comforting us, motivating us, inspiring us, warning us, loving us and loving others through us. He's so much more than a pocket friend. He actually fills the empty pockets in our hearts so we are full of His love and joy.

Yes, I am so glad I was able to hear from my pocket friend. I have missed her so. I have missed her huge smile, her laughter, her ballet competition in gym class each day and the camaraderie of the Three Musketeers. But what joy I have in having her tucked in the pocket of my heart, to bring me joy each time I look up at the picture in my space and remember the wonderful times we had together.

So today, I am thankful for Pocket Friends, and their reminder of the Holy Spirit who fills the empty pockets of my heart, not just to be brought out occasionally, but alive and abundant within. I love you pocket friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment