Sunday, February 28, 2010

PROPORTION OF MY LOVE

Okay, it's now 5:10 am and I have been up since 4:30 am. No, I am not sick. No, I have no where to go until 11:30 am. I just couldn't sleep I am soooo excited! Today is the day! Yep, today is the day Jimmy and I leave to take Huston to Disney World. I know, I shouldn't be this over excited...after all, I AM an adult. I HAVE been before. I've SEEN Mickey and Minnie up close. I've even gotten their autograph! Taking that first step down Main Street USA is like walking into a movie. It just makes one's heart sore with excitement!

You know, Jimmy and his family were at Disney Land on opening weekend in 1955. He actually prefers Disney Land to Disney World. We've been to both and I am the opposite, but I think it is just remembering that wonderful moment when he first arrived that takes him back in time and puts DL as aspecial place in his heart.

Jimmy and I spent most of Friday evening and yesterday preparing for the trip. We had loads of errands to run, things to buy, books on Disney World to purchase to prepare for the trip and lists to make for packing and planning. I was speaking with a friend last night and I told her I forgot how much work it was to plan and prepare to take a pre-schooler on a trip. One doesn't only have to pack their own bag with all the essentials, and I do mean essentials (i.e. war paint for us women, along with hair equipment and other assorted hair products), but then to think about all the things a little one will need for just the travel days. Since we are flying Southwest airlines, and they serve no food, we have to worry about meal times, hand wipes for the plane, juice cups so Huston won't spill all over himself, games to play and DVD players so he can watch his Disney movies in the air. And that's just the beginning! AND THEN...poor Huston, they took him to the doctor yesterday and he has pink eye! Now we have to deal with that! Man....it's hard work taking a pre-schooler on a trip.

But man...will it be worth the effort the first time I see his face when step off the monorail and walk straight out onto Main Street USA. He will be in LOVE!

As I lay in bed before getting up this morning, I got to thinking about all this excitement and preparation. We've planned this trip for a while now. We've planned our days to revolve around what we would show Huston. We planned where we will eat so he could see the characters and be a part of the whole Disney experience. We love this child so much, this trip is really planned around him. Our joy is not so much what we see or do, but watching and feeling the joy he will get seeing and experiencing this adventure.

I heard recently a saying...The proportion of our obedience is the proportion for which God experiences our love. You see, we spend all our time preparing and planning for things we enjoy and want to share with others. Yet when it comes to our relationship with God, we fail in our obedience, because we are not willing to do what it takes to keep His covenant. If we committed to spending time with Him, getting to know Him, talking with Him daily, seeking His counsel, seeking His comfort and loving others they way He loves them in the same amount of time we do in preparation of other things in our life...to that proportion would God then experience our love for Him.

So today, I am thankful for time. Yes time. Time to plan and commit. Time to obey and experience. Time to seek and time to love. Time spent with the Lord is never time wasted. So Huston, my sweet precious grandson, our time together will be filled with fun. It will be filled with new experiences and it will be filled with love. I hope God will be right in the middle of it all, experiencing the the fullest proportion, my great love for you and Him.

WDW...here we come!

No comments:

Post a Comment