Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Labor Day at OHCC

Jimmy and Clark started out early with 18 holes of golf. Me, Alix and the kids were to meet them later at OHCC for Labor Day on the lawn. This is an annual event we seem to enjoy as a family. The little guys love it a lot. Swimming, petting zoo, bouncy building, horses or train ride, great food...all kinds of fun.
Apparently Jimmy and Clark didn't have as much success on the course as they would have liked...guess they didn't have any "cute shoes" to wear...but I think they had a good time together anyway. We all met up at the pool about the same time and the kids were ready to plunge into the pool.
After playing around in the baby pool for a while, we headed for the big pool and the slide. Huston, particularly, loves the slide. He and I love to slide together and then, he likes me to stand at the bottom of the slide to catch him. I think he inherited the "Mimi" gene of not wanting his head under water. He "doesn't like it", he says and insists someone be there to catch him before going under. We have it down pat now. He will even slide on his back - "fast like Lightning McQueen!" I'm there to catch the speeding machine and he squeals with excitement, waiting to be sure everyone (family members) has seen his great feat! What a guy...sure hope he will want to ride those roller coasters with me one day! Lovey and Lightning...zooming on the rails...what could be better?!
Emery loves the slide too. She's totally fearless. Not much on going under but doesn't throw a fit either. She will slide with the best of them. She will ride with any of us. She gets to the top, sits on our laps or in front of us and counts 1...2...3...GO! and off we go, zooming down the slide. She always comes out with a smile...soooooo adorable!
In the little kids pool, they had a coin toss and a drink dive. Houston found 5 quarters and Emery found 1 quarter. They thought they were rich! Each child "dove" for and recovered 2 sodas each in the drink dive. Huston had both his opened within 5 minutes. How excited can a kid get!
It was then time to head for the petting zoo, bouncy house and pony ride before dinner. We all donned our cover ups and headed to the OHCC lawn. The kids headed straight for the petting zoo. They first petted pot bellied pigs that squealed so loud it almost burst your ear drums. Ems just looked at them in wonderment. Huston wasn't too sure of them at first. But after a few minutes when he realized they wouldn't bite...hands were all over them. Next, chicks! Adorable little chicks! All colors, fluffy, spotted and cute as could be. I was fascinated by them. Later, when looking at them with the kids again and it was time to go eat, Huston said, "look Lovey, that cute chicken!" I said, "Yes, he's adorable! Let's go eat some chicken!" The couple standing next to me with a small child almost died! Their mouths flew open, eyes wide with astonishment! I just smiled and said, "Fried chicken...they have the best here...I just love eating their chicken!" and walked off. I couldn't look back. They probably covered their kid's ears...some people just can't take a joke!
After that, they saw bunnies and goats and sheep and then...the ponies! Oh yeah! Huston rode "Midnight", the black one, and Emery rode her "pink pony". Emery never took off her sun shades. She's such a glam girl! Not too sure what she thought about that pony...but she never broke a smile or a frown...just a serious face behind those shades. I don't know if she was tired or if she is going to be the next Victoria Beckham.
After playing in the bouncy house for a few minutes, we headed for the buffet line and filled our plates with, what else, FRIED CHICKEN and whatever else was available. OHCC always has great food so there was lots to choose from...just is, my favorite is their fried chicken! After sitting on the lawn with our food, a waiter asked if he could get us a drink. I asked if he could bring me a root beer over ice. I noticed he looked a little strange at me, smiled, nodded, turned and then walked over to another waiter. They whispered and he walked away. I didn't think much of it until he returned. As he put my drink down, I noticed my "root beer" looking a little "light". I asked him if he accidentally brought me tea. He said no, it was Miller "beer" over ice! It was everything I could do to keep from falling over with laughter. A beer over ice...poor guy...guess he didn't speak much English. Clark helped me out by telling him to ask for an A & W up stairs and a cup of ice. They guy was really sweet and came back with the right order. I just kept looking at the beer over ice and cracking up. Anyway...he was trying!
All in all, it was a great, fun day. Everyone had a great time, and all went home tired. I think the little guys were probably asleep before they hit the driveway. Hope everyone else had as much fun as we did. HAPPY LABOR DAY!
Happy Labor Day from the Allens!

You just GOTTA have some sausage on Labor Day!

Ems really took to the goats!

Why do they always approach an animal from behind?

Too cool and too tired!

Nope, not waving to ANYONE!

Not too sure about this! Looks a little "shady"!
Emery on her "pink horse" - of course!

Huston and his horse, Midnight

Bunnies!

Will they bite?

Chickies!

Pot Bellied Pigs

Huston with his "drink toss" winnings
Our little Glam Girl in her "shades"






No comments:

Post a Comment